Monday, July 16, 2012

What is WAC?

Writing across the curriculum, or WAC, is a way for educators to implement the writing process in a way that integrates all of the content areas. The purpose of this blog is to share and discuss ways that teachers can use writing to enhance the learning process. WAC is not a supplement to the curriculum, but an ongoing process of teaching the curriculum and its standards. Teachers that use WAC strategies in their classroom are encourage to comment and post their ideas to this blog.


Today's Question: What kind of writing activities have you tried in Mathematics? and How do your students respond to writing activities in the classroom?

10 comments:

  1. One of the writing activities that I use in my computer technology class is to have them write in binary. This combines writing with mathematics and technology.

    Please check out my blog at http://keathleyb.blogspot.com

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is an activity my students dislike!! I am always looking for different strategies to get them interested in writing. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I teach a new concept, I have the students to write about the concept. They tell me what they like and dislike about the concept. I also have them tell me what they understood or did not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAC is utilized alot in the Career Tech setting-it help the students to the the relevence of what they are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I teach math and I've definitely tried a few writing prompts before. However, all I hear from my students is "We write enough in English class. We aren't supposed to write in math class!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had students write an after action review when we did a Geometry project on Kites and made our own. I had them write about the process and what they learned/liked/disliked. I agree writing in math class is difficult, but it has to be meaningful. I also had my students write a financial plan with points of interest like savings accounts, 401K options, investsments, loans, and what house and car they would like to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog!! I love to use organizers to help my students organize their ideas before writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used the Math story book, "Sir Cumference: And the First Round Table (A Math Adventure)" Then I had the students write out the process of finding circumference and then write their own short math story on addition/subtraction/multiplication/division. At first they grumbled a little about writing in math but most really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems obvious that if we could inspire students to spend a little more time on organizers the quality of their work would improve greatly. It is our job to motivate…Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of the time Writing is the hardest part of the school day for my students. I try to get them to express themselves but the block in spelling really bothers them.

    ReplyDelete